- Boomerang -
- updated on 19 June 2010
Ulf Valentin has
developed software to do scientific
modeling of a boomerang on the computer.
Georg Hennig has written
a boomerang flight simulator called wxBumms that is based on the
Felix Hess' 1975 dissertation 'Boomerangs, Aerodynamics and
Motion'. You can go directly to the Download
Web Page. This is an OpenGL environment code that will run
on MS Windows and Linux operating systems. It's in German, but you
can select English in Fenster-->Sprache
wählen-->English. You can make almost infinite changes to
the conditions, and the flight will change! Like a proper
simulator, you can adjust wind speed/direction, how hard you
throw, how much spin, as well as the layover and release height.
After you find a flight path that looks similar to one that you
throw, try changing the throwing conditions, and see it you can
make the boomerang land at the man's feet. Many thanx to Tim
Lendrum for letting us know about this software.
Flight Simulator - From the University of Florida in
Fishwick posted this flight simulator for Unix computer users.
Don't download this file unless you can compile the software for a
Unix computer operating system. Contact Ted
Bailey if you have compiled this flight simulator for other
computer operating systems or know of any other flight simulators.
You can download a listing of the boomerang flight simulator in
BASIC format from the following flight-toys.com web link. The
algorithm was originally written by Gerhard Bertling of Germany.
John Mauro added some user friendly ideas. The final program was
put together by Jim Martellotti. This is the flight routine that
was integrated into the Echoes of Australia CD-Rom in 1995. If you
do any computer programming, you might be able to convert this
routine into another computer programming language. If you do, let
me know. This download also includes John Mauro's BASIC program
compiled for a Classic Macintosh Computer. Download Basic
Flight Simulator here.
I will provide you with a link to a zipped archive containing all
of the following files with your first boomerang order:
- throwing.pdf - basic throwing instructions
- tuning.pdf - advanced tuning instructions
- rediboom instructions.pdf - excellent general
- moller comp instructions.pdf - how to tune and throw
- moller doubler instructions.pdf - how to tune and throw
- MTA.pdf - Maximum Time Aloft (MTA) tuning and throwing
- longdistance.pdf - instructions for tuning and throwing long
- G10notes.pdf - instructions for tuning and throwing G10 or G12
- trifly_mods.pdf - How to Modify tri-Flys to make competition
- PaperBoomerang.pdf - How to make boomerangs out of
- boomlit.pdf - a comprehensive database of boomerang related
- boompatent.pdf - a comprehensive database of patents related
- NewsORang.pdf - the text from early (1970s) newsletters
published by The Boomerang Man
- donnellanbook.pdf - the text from a very early (1940s) booklet
by Frank Donnellan
- maurobook.pdf - John Mauro's complete booklet about boomerangs
- hansonbook.pdf - Michael Hanson's complete booklet about
- hubbard paper.pdf - Technical paper on how to throw a
Beginning with your first order, I will include a free CD or DVD
with each package that includes a returning boomerang. These CDs
and DVDs are not for sale. There will be only one disk per order
and each order will include a different disk. More than 50 disks
are/will be available.
- The first CD (first order) will include a wonderful mix of
newsletters, books and other boomerang related literature in pdf
format. There will also be databases with bibliographies,
boomerang patents, etc. The CD will also include a selection of
boomerang photos in jpg format and a sampling of boomerang movies
in mpg and wmv formats. These files are only a sampling of what
will follow in future CDs or DVDs.
- The second CD (second order) will include a comprehensive
sampling of photos. Most are in jpg format. on this disk you will
find a large selection of photos of boomerang throwers, products
and other interesting things, all orgainzed into nice folders by
subject. You can run a slide show program (not included) and watch
boom photos on your computer screen for more than an hour!
- The third CD (third order) will include a large selection of
boomerang related movies in mpg and wmv formats. Some are high
resolution and some are low resolution, but all will be much
better resolution than the crap that you find on YouTube. There
are some terrific movies on this disc. Some are historical and
hard to find treasures. All of these are very entertaining and are
a sampling of more than 50 CDs and DVDs that will be available for
free beginning with your fourth boomerang order.
- After you have recieved the first 3 CDs, I will include a
custom CD or DVD with historical videos. Just tell what what
geographic regions and topics you like and I will try to match you
with a custom made disk full of great video in high
- If you have any videos that you would like to share with
others, please let me know immediately.
Please visit the flight-toys boomerang
books web page. On this web page, you can find links to free
downloads of selected boomerang book titles in pdf format.
Back to: Flight-Toys | Boomerang
World | Boomerang